Jul 10, 2009

OSCE's over baby!

*a very VERY long post about, nerdy stuff. But the babbling helps calm my nerves. So, yea, read at your own urm attention span ;)

OSCE is finally

OVER

OMG, the relief we experience is just, out of this world. Finally that much deserved one-month holiday! (and a month of fun-filled malaysian food fest festive festival!) Oh the joy is simply too hard to contain.

Well, i'm gonna talk a bit on what happened during OSCE today. A basic review, just to recap on how i nailed (i think) some of the stations while screwing quite a number of it too. Haha. A few months long practise ok! I deserve the unnecessary babbling. ;)

Okay. So OSCE, as you all know is something like a rotation of stations that each of the students must fulfill.

I started off with Nose and Throat; and Neurology exam station. Each with 5 minutes provided respectively.
I did the anamnesis quite wel,l i think, judging from the doctor's nods as i was interviewing the patient. I inserted the nose speculum into the patient's nose while just, praying there for my life that I won't accidently pluck the patient's urm, nose hair. Because that would have been utterly tragic (both for my marks and also the patient). So i finished off the examination confidently (excluding the fact that i forgot to ON the head lamp. oh the confusion). For neuro exam i got examination for meningitis and low back pain, which i did quite well ;)

Then next was breast exam. My case was just doing palpation using various examination methods and identifying any palpable mass or lymph node enlargements. I totally HEART my breast doctor. He was totally helpful in guiding me and explaining the right methods of doing the examination. I think i was quite nervous in this station, because i was sweating like MAD! My (very) wet gloves proved it. Sigh. But yea, i think i did okay.

Now my 3rd station was the KILLER. Eye Examination! Talk about contradictions man! The case says that the patient has pain in the eye, watery discharge and also blurred vision. So in my head, straight away i thought; okay okay snellen chart, i have to perform visual acuity examination. It turns out that i didn't read the case properly (damn u intraocular pressure exam!) and followed the anamnesis too much. But isn't it what you're supposed to do? Follow the main complains of the patient? T.T bye bye my 6 precious marks. Isy. Screwed up big time la wei.

Oh great, my next station was Circumcision. I was praying sooooo hard to get a nice doctor before i go in. Because indeed, the fiercest of doctors came from the closed doors of Department Bedah RSUP Sardjito. And i'm gonna be tested next by them! But thank god! The doctor was very nice and consoling. He asked me to chill and just perform the procedure without having to think to much about the passing time. Alhamdullillah, managed to get a perfect score. Teehee (still sedih coz of eye exam T.T)

Lab exam was next! The case was preparation of think and thin slide for Malarial cases. Not only i forgot about how to do the thin slide preparation, I also misinterpreted the stages and types of the plasmodium species. I should have known they only have the P.Vivax and P.Falciparum in the lab! Wuuuuu. But moving on.

Neonatal Resuscitation station exam was the bomb! It was nothing like i expected. For an emergency-cased station, i seriously think the whole examination process was a rather laid-back one. The doctor was superbly friendly and she didn't ask too many confusing scenarios/cases. I think i only got one case. (lucky me!). Me heart NR!

So after i finished saving some babies in distress, i had to run allll the way to the next station which was located at another different room to procede to my OBsGYn station. Baby delivery! Yay! I was relieved that i got that case for this station. The exam went smoothly without any complications so to say. Mocksce and all those assistency jobs for labour really pays off! InsyaAllah boleh la this station. hee.

My last (ooh yeh) station was Integrated Patient Management for Pediatrics Examination. This station was for me the hardest. Because you need to address a situation, a medical situation, using the correct steps right from anamnesis up to treatment and education. So for this station, you will never know what you will get. It all depends on the efficiency of your anamnesis and physical examination. My case was TB in children. Actually from the anamnesis the chief complaints was kinda obvious. Batuk selama 6 bulan bla bla bla. But i didn't score for my patient education section. I asked the kid to wear a mask to school since TB is an infectious TB. andddddd. apparently TB in children is not infectious as the viral load is too little. Sigh. But nevermind, because my mind at this moment has already focused on the variety of fooooooood that i'm gonna eat when im back home in Malaysia. hahaha.

So yeah, that's the summary.
I just hope i passed, JUST A PASS WILL DO. Haih scared laaaa (eye exam!!!!!)

I'm going home tomorrow. And i haven't pack.
Just me being the procrastinator queen bee.
haha. Until then.

No comments: